Col. Sanders Repository of Infinite Inquiry

"Blog" of Steven M. Sanders. The old template presented us with too many formatting problems. Let us see if this one gets things on the right footing. Go back to the root url ( http://www.studiosputnik.com ) to see the hawt aht. I remain, your most humble, etc etc.

Name:
Location: Kansas City, MO

Thursday, April 26, 2007


I started fiddling around with a new (for me at least) illustration method a few months ago, and two pieces that use this method are going to be shown as part of a larger show at the Green Door gallery in May.

The method is just me taking a sketch, coloring it in Photoshop, dropping the sketch to where it just barely shows up, printing it large format (~ 11x17) on uncoated watercolor paper, and then inking by hand over it. I'm essentially using the printer as an ultra-accurate watercolor/gouache brush.

I like it because the wicking effect of the uncoated watercolor paper on the ink gives a subtle effect that I cant duplicate in Photoshop by, say, a slight blur filter and a overlay of watercolor texture. Also, I get "originals" now. It's nice to have art to hold again. But as a side effect of the process, these are "originals" that I can make more of easily. I thought that initially they would be considered prints, but Dawn says they would be considered Mixed Media pieces. I'm not sure what I'm going to price them at, I guess about 1/2 way between a print and an original. Probably $75. (Gallery price will be higher to reflect their commission.) I'll get a pic up of the other one when I finish it up. If anyone's interested in one of these, drop me a line. stevensanders at gmail dot com.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

very nice.

10:59 AM  
Blogger T2 said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:34 AM  
Blogger T2 said...

Steven,
I'm looking at this and looking at all the detail that makes her flying motorcycle-contraption "real". And if such a device could exist, the damned thing would look just like your drawing.

I also like the parachute ring at her shoulder...and the whole outfit, gauntlets, riding boots, helmet, goggles...

I'd LOVE to see you draw a proper motorcycle. It would probably look more real than a real one. HA! I ride and appreciate this kinda thing.

It all works so well. It doesn't hurt that your rider is cute, even with the bandaid..

7:36 AM  
Blogger Robin said...

Excellent work ... the detail is great and it looks like you could jump into the image and take the flying machine for a ride.

7:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home